Get into geography in new and exciting ways with your friends or kids! Participate in these activities, put on by BYU’s Geography Club, which is run by students and under the umbrella of the College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences.
Monday, November 16th: Geocaching Competition Begins
- Download a free Geocaching app, or go to Geocaching.com
- Create an account on Geocaching.com
- Search for geocaches in Provo, Utah.
- Find as many as you can until the morning of Friday, the 20th.
- Show the logs of your visits in your app or by taking pictures of the caches and showing them to the students at the geography booth in the SWKT lobby throughout the week. You’ll receive an entry for a free GPS for each geocache you found.
- If you need any help, you can click on the “i” button in the app, or the “Learn” tab at Geocaching.com.
Tuesday, November 17th: Campus Urban Planning Tour with Dr. Michael Clay
In cooperation with the Student Urban Planning Association, a Campus Tour will be conducted by urban planning authority Dr. Michael Clay. Meet in the SWKT lobby at the geography booth at 3 p.m.
Wednesday, November 18th: GIS Day and SWKT Rooftop Tour
Come learn about geographic information systems software, or take advantage of this rare opportunity to view your world from atop the highest building in Utah County. Meet at the geography table in the SWKT lobby any time between 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. for a guided rooftop tour.
Thursday, November 19th: Chauncy Harris Lecture by Tim Warner on Remote Sensing
In 250 SWKT at 11 a.m.
Friday, November 20th: Geocaching Competition GPS Prize Winner Announced; SWKT Rooftop Tour, and 1st Annual Geography Major Picture
- The winner of the the free Garmin GPS will be announced at 12 p.m. at the geography table in the SWKT lobby (see above for more information).
- Another rare opportunity to gain admittance to the rooftop of the SWKT. Meet at the geography table in the SWKT lobby any time between 1 and 2 p.m.
- Participate in the first annual Geography Major Picture 3 p.m. in the SWKT quad (to the south of the SWKT). If you’re a geography major at BYU, come dressed like a geography major and get ready to strike a pose for a giant group photo!