Summer may be for lazy days and having fun with your friends, but that doesn’t mean you should stop learning! Here are 5 ways to stay sharp and have fun this summer!
Find Your Club!
Even though clubs aren’t very active during the Spring and Summer, you can still sort through them at BYU’s clubs’ website and pick which one you want to join in Fall/Winter! Here are some quick links to more information about clubs within our college:
- Joining a club
- Neuroscience Club
- Think Spatial, a Geography club
- Refugee Empowerment Club
Visit the Museum of Peoples and Cultures!
Learn all about ancient and more modern civilizations at this museum. Current exhibits include Piecing Together Paquimé, which features the remnants of the city from A.D. 1200-1450, and Steps in Style, which features shoes from a plethora of cultures and time periods.
Hit up the Library!
Here at BYU, we have one of the best libraries ever! It’s full of cool rooms and exhibits and awesome movies and books. So take time this summer to explore the HBLL and find some great books! Highlights of the HBLL include:
- The Great Cat Massacre and Other Episodes in French Cultural History by Robert Darnton
- The music and dance reading room on the 4th floor. It’s full of gorgeous, antique furniture and musical instruments
- The Renaissance medicine exhibit on the 3rd floor. It’ll make you glad you live in 2017.
- If you’re feeling nostalgic, the first two seasons of Scooby-Doo, Where are You! are available in the media center on the 4th floor.
- For all the food lovers, The History and Social Influence of the Potato by Redcliffe Salaman
- The 3-D printer on the 2nd floor- for just a few dollars (or more, depending on what you order) you can get a vast array of 3-D objects printed for you. For example, a brain, Cthulhu, Bilbo Baggins, and much more!
Brush up on your Writing Skills
Whether you’re taking classes this summer or not, you can always improve your writing. FHSS’ Writing Lab offers many tools both on-campus and online to help you with that. Take a few moments to brush up on these skills, so you don’t have to do it in the middle of trying to meet a million assignment deadlines:
- Formatting a paper Turabian style
- Structuring your paper
- Writing a conclusion
- Citing APA style
Watch YouTube Videos!
Did you know that FHSS has two YouTube channels? Every other week, we post videos about the intricacies of daily life and how to live within them.