For Choose 2 Give’s (C2G) “Selfies on the SWKT” there were a lot of silly selfies with props. There were romantic picnic lunches. There were even students who chose to do homework overlooking the best view at BYU from atop the Spencer W. Kimball Tower.
Mostly importantly, students learned the value of giving back through this student-run and -funded scholarship campaign that helps students in need receive a BYU education. One hundred percent of the money raised will be used to benefit BYU students. Event organizer and BYU Chapter Psi Chi President Sariah Porter says, “I had never helped with a C2G event before and was skeptical that students would want to donate since they are scrimping and saving, but I was blown away by people’s generosity.”
Here are a few memorable quotes overheard on the rooftop:
- “I saved three lives today.”
- “You’re making dreams come true.”
- “Is this where we’re meeting for target practice? #Lookoutbelow”
- “Can you get a picture of me looking at Y mountain? Gotta get the hipster shot.”
- “We’re actually adults who want to do kid things.”
- Student trying to shmooze Buildings Exteriors Manager Kerry Wilson for off-hours rooftop access: “So, I’ve been dating this girl for a while and I need to do something really good to impress her. What can you do for me?”
- “Don’t shut down the elevators yet. We need to give stragglers their ‘Sleepless in Seattle’ moment.”
- “Wait. There’s a backpack left behind. Is it Noah’s?”
Economics major Bradley Goronson had one of the best responses of all. He has an extensive BYU bucket list and exclaimed that going to the rooftop of the SWKT (KMBL) was at the top of his list. “If I had not achieved my dream by graduation, I was going to personally ask President Worthen if I could go.”
Choose 2 Give grants dreams in more ways than one.
The campaign will continue to March 19-30, 2018. Go to studentalumni.byu.edu to donate.